Saturday 16 August 2014

Moving career ahead with a brand new car...



When he started working in Bernama, Deputy Chief Sub-editor of the Special Issues and Features Desk Ravichandran D.J.Paul never thought he could afford to buy a car.
“I can still recall a news editor told me that if you work in Bernama or in the newspaper line, don’t think that you can be a rich man.
“I wanted to prove otherwise that you can still lead a comfortable life provided you are willing to work hard, willing to learn and make the best of  your ability,” he said as we look back into our  life as the country celebrates its 57th National Day on August 31.
After 23 years in Bernama, Ravi said he has came a long way from when he started -- taking the ‘risk’ to join Bernama in 1991.
“I started as a cadet with a salary of RM1,200 after graduating from University of Malaya with Bachelor of Science in Genetics,” said the 49 year-old gentleman.
He did not know why he became a reporter although he had some experience writing  school books for Preston publication and University Malaya newsletters.
“I saw a newspaper ad on Bernama and applied for it….when I was taken in, I went through training for two weeks and then it was out for assignments,” he said.
Having gone through the career path, Ravi could be considered well-to-do, paying even slightly more for his brand new Honda Accord than his first Bernama pay packet.
“I wanted to get a Mercedes but I cannot afford, so I settled for a Honda,” he said.
“I’ve come a long way, first it was a second-hand Proton, then a Wira, Waja, after that Toyota Corolla Altis and now Honda,” he said.
“I bought a new car just to show that I’m progressing with time and also for my satisfaction because I had always wanted to drive a bigger car with 2400 cc before I reach 50,” he said.
“I thought to myself that if I don’t buy it now, when else…When I grow older, I won’t probably need a big car, maybe I’ll change for a small car, so now is the right time if I want to buy,” he added.
Ravi is paying RM1,320 a month for five years for the RM170,000 beauty which he acquired about four months ago.
“In a way, a new car can boost your morale…I’ll be happy when some say wah Ravi you’re doing ok and I hope they will also be ok,” said the father of  a pair of  twins -- a boy and a girl, studying in Form Five.
“I’m thankful that grades are higher now,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment