Sunday 29 January 2017

Solid grounding in journalism and life...

Celebrating the Chinese New Year, former deputy chief sub-editor Yeap Boo Yam remembers  fondly his time in Bernama despite having been away for almost 15 years.
"I was in Bernama for a total of 21 years -- 16 years on my first “tour of duty” and five years in the next. On both occasions, I resigned for better job offers," he said today. 
"Bernama gave me a solid grounding in journalism and in life.
"For one thing, I was taught not to compromise on accuracy.
"The opportunity to interact with people of various races and backgrounds made me a rounded person.
"The daily task of editing stories as a gatekeeper honed my skills in making judgment calls.
"I also learned not to be a clock watcher. These traits have served me well," said the 57 year-old Yeap, now part-time editor at Berita Daily.       
He said of his long career in journalism, he spent only eight years as a reporter, including three years in Sarawak.
"I will always treasure my stint in the Land of the Hornbills.
"I was in my early 20s then, and the experience gained in Sarawak was invaluable for my personal and career development.
"It definitely gave me a better understanding of Sarawak and our Sarawakian brothers and sisters.
"As a sub-editor, I always looked forward to working in situ at major events.
"The 1998 KL Commonwealth Games, where I was deputy chief sub (English), was the highlight of my involvement in such assignments," he said.            
Yeap, who has worked in four major organizations, said the camaraderie in Bernama "is second to none".
"The willingness to help out each other and to work for the common good of Bernama has fostered enduring friendships.
"I can still remember the day I reported for work at MCOBA in 1980 together with Zukiman Zain, the late Siva Kumar and Nazri Hashim (who later joined Utusan Malaysia).
"Going out for meals and drinks together after work was not uncommon. I believe activities like treasure hunt and family day were also key in nurturing the “semangat kekeluargaan”," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment